Thursday, February 11, 2010

Repurposed Treasure Keeper Tutorial

Tutorial on how to create a treasure keeper from tin can !

Supplies:

Tin can

Can opener

Spray paint ( Ivory)

Vintage papers

Designer papers ( your choice)

Candle stick ( can be glass or metal)

Vintage glass knob

Glitter

Charms, buttons beads or glass prisms

Silk floral's

Pen ( permanent)

Vintage book for text

Awl or nail to create hole in tin

Alcohol paint's or other paints of your choice

E 6000 glue or Gorilla glue

Fabric for the lining
First thing you will need is to prepare your can, I use a can that is about two inches tall and four inches across ( mine had chunk chicken in it ) ! The secret for being able to use a can without getting cut is to use a can opener that does not leave a sharp edge ! So you need to have a can opener that leaves a smooth edge.
Next to create the unique pedestal for your treasure keeper you will need to choose a candle holder of your choice depending on how tall you want yours.
Those trips to the thrift store have paid off now with your little stash of candle holders available !

Next you need to paint the tin can and candle holder. I used Krylon Satin Ivory spray paint , so easy to paint things with ! I used several coats till I felt it was covered good.

After everything has had a chance to dry well I used a punch or awl to make a hole in the center of the lid so I can attach my vintage glass knob. I place a wood piece under the lid and punch away.Don't worry if it gets scratched because it will be covered with paper.
Next you can prepare your flowers to use on the top , I used some silk floral's I had on hand and "painted" them with chalks to age them a bit and added some silver glitter to the edges for sparkle! I also took a vintage book that had seen better days and cut various text , these will also be added into the flowers for a dash of interest.

You can age them if you want with some chalks or however you like best aging papers!The fun part begins with choosing any kind of papers you would like and using Mod Podge or adhesive of your choice , cover the lid and sides. After your papers have dried you can also age the can and candle with paint or in this one I used Alcohol inks . I also cut a little fluffy circle for in the inside of the container.

Layer all of your flowers and attach to the lid with your glass knob or you can use a large bead, layer some buttons ect.
If you want to also embellish your tin with glitter or pens to add more interest you can also do that at this time ! You can glue the candle stick to the tin at this time , I used E 6000 , you can also use Gorilla glue , let dry till secure! Your Treasure Keeper is done , ready to hide a special treasure in or give as a gift!
I added some ribbons and a vintage glass prism to the candle stick part for a little added bling. You could also use charms,buttons or even a tag ! I hope you enjoyed this & will have fun creating your own ! So appreciate your comments!
Iam adding this to The Thrifty Home , check out her blog & more wonderful ideas !

9 comments:

Sheila said...

What a fun thing.. IT looks really great and i bet it was fun to make. May try it soon.

LuLu Kellogg said...

You clever girl! I love this. When I do my posting for tomorrow, I am going to put a link to your Blog so everyone can see this wonderful tutorial!

Thanks Sweet One!
LuLu♥♥♥

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Love, love, love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starrynightimpressions said...

This is one of the cutest creations I've ever seen !!! So wonderful :)
Talk about repurposing and pretty at the same time.
blessings,
starrydeborah

Diana Sh P said...

OMG! So wonderful piece you made... Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

So glad I came across your blog today. Absolutely lovely! I think I am going to try that but with polymer clay. Thanks for sharing!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a thrifty idea...I luv thrifty...thanks soooo much for sharing it:)

Blessings,
Linda

Creations By Cindy said...

Love this! TFS

Jen said...

I can't believe that was a chunk chicken can! I love the music notes on it.